Department of Geography
Certificate of education- CPCE
BA Geography –University of Guyana
MSc Urban and Regional Planning- UWI
PUBLIC & PROFESSIONAL SERVICE
- Volunteer Trainer/Facilitator, Bartica Research Institute for Educational Empowerment (BRIEE) (2020)
- Facilitate Workshops for Caribbean Secondary Education Certificate (CSEC) Geography Teachers - NCERD (2012-Present)
- Geography Syllabus Review Panelist - Caribbean Examinations Council
- Assistant Examiner for Caribbean Secondary Education Certificate/CXC- Geography
- Resource person for Secondary Schools - CSEC Geography School-Based Assessment (SBA)
- Resource person for Geography - Cyril Potter College of Education (CPCE)
- Member, International Geoscience Education Organisation - UNESCO in collaboration with the International Organisation for Education in Geosciences (IGEO)
- Associate Editor, Common Ground Publishers, University of Illinois, USA - 2013 and 2017
- Editor, Caribbean Urban Forum, Conference Proceedings
- Member, Caribbean Network for Urban & Land Management
- Member, Commonwealth Association of Planners
- Member of the American Association of Geographers
TRAINING WORKSHOPS CONDUCTED
2020 - Geography School-based Assessment Workshop: Bartica Research Institute for Educational Empowerment (BRIEE), Region 7
2019 – Map Reading Workshop for CSEC teachers: Department of Education, Region 6
2015 - Geography School-Based Assessment Workshop, Department of Education, Region 6. January 28, 2015.
2014 - Geography School-Based Assessment Workshop, National Centre for Resource Development (NCERD), Ministry of Education. October 22, 2014.
2013 - "Train the Trainer Workshop" (for new Geography course developed). February 2013, Cyril Potter College of Education.
I. COMPLETED RESEARCH PROJECTS
- EIA for Selected areas along the Guyana Coast, Sea & River Defence Project (2013) (Collab.)
- Use, Adaptation and Management of Technology for the Urban Sector in the Caribbean for Strengthening Research Development and Uptake Capacity in Urban, Land and Municipal Management in the Caribbean (NSUS) Project- 2012 (Collab.)
- GEO-CITIES Document – Profile of Georgetown, (UG, M&CC, UNDP & UNEP) (2009) (Collab.)
- Effects of Mercury on Gold Smiths in Guyana, (GGMC & WWF) (2007) (Collab)
- Biodiversity Study associated with the Upper Cuyuni Gold Mining Project (2006) (Collab.)
- Guyana Environmental Profile Document (2006) (Collab.)
- Integrated Assessment of Guyana’s Coastline Dynamics, Coastal Land Use and Defence Structures (Collaborative)
II. RESEARCH IN PROGRESS
Regional Planning and Development in Guyana: A Study of Patterns, Challenges and Solutions (Collaborative)
- A study of key Management Systems that Influence Urban Form in Georgetown, Guyana, 2015
- Impact of Residential Housing Schemes on Spatial Development Trends in Demerara-Mahaica, 2014
III. PUBLICATIONS/CONFERENCE PRESENTATIONS
Johnson-Bhola, L. (2020). Effects of Rural Land Tenure System on Mangroves Management in Corentyne, Guyana. DOI: 10.5772/intechopen.89610.
Oyedotun, T. D. T. and Johnson-Bhola, L. 2019. Shoreline change identification and analysis along the coast of Guyana, South America. Interdisciplinary Environmental Review, Vol. 20, No. 1, 2. http://www.inderscience.com/info/ingeneral/forthcoming.php?jcode=ier
Punalall-Jetoo, P., Williams, P. & Johnson-Bhola, L. (Contributors). The Status of Geoscience Education in Primary and Secondary Schools in Guyana. UNESCO (2019).
Johnson-Bhola, Linda and Oyedotun, Temitope D. 2018. Coastal Defence Roles of Mangroves on the Amazon-Influenced Coast of Guyana, South America: Review of an Intervention Project in an Eroding Coastline. http://www.coastalzonecanada.org/newsletter/ The Zone, Spring 2018
Oyedotun, T. D. T, Johnson-Bhola, L. 2018. Beach Litter and Grading of the Coastal Landscape for Tourism Development in Sections of Guyana’s Coast. Pollution and Environment, 2(1): 05-14. DOI: http://doi.org/10.26480/pe.01.2018.05.14.
Johnson-Bhola, et al. 2018. Report on the State of Guyana’s Coastal Landscape – A Rapid Assessment. Ministry of the Presidency, Department of Environment (contributed the sections on erosion and sedimentation).
Johnson-Bhola, Linda. 2018. "Land Use Planning and Housing Development in Guyana: A Case Study of Two Housing Schemes." Illinois; The International Journal of Interdisciplinary Social and Community Studies 12 (4): 7-21. doi:10.18848/2324-7576/CGP/v12i04/7-21. Extent: 15 pages.
Johnson-Bhola, L. 2017. Small-Holder Adaptation to Climate Change: Dynamics, Constraints, and Priorities along Coastal Guyana. In: Thomas-Hope, E. (ed.) Climate Change and Food Security: Africa and the Caribbean. United Kingdom: Routledge, pp. 82-94.
Johnson-Bhola, L. 2017. Is Low Income Housing a Prerequisite to Long-Term Sustainability and Poverty Alleviation for Depressed Communities? In: Mohammed, A. and Polar, P. (eds.) Sustainable Urban Development: The Gap between Rhetoric and Reality – A Critical Review of Presentations from the Caribbean Urban Forum 2016, Suriname. Trinidad: Caribbean Network for Urban and Land Management, pp 182-190.
Johnson-Bhola, L. “Land Tenure Issues as a Constraint to the Sustainable Management of Guyana’s Mangroves”, Paper presented at the 1st Guyana Mangrove Forum- Restoring and Managing Mangrove Ecosystems in a Changing World, Georgetown, Guyana, April11-13, 2013.
Williams, Patrick & Linda Johnson-Bhola. 2012. Land Market Dynamics in Latin America and the Caribbean: A Case Study of Guyana, FAO (Published in Organizacion de las Naciones Unidas para la Alimentacion y la Agricultura, 2012, pg 285-305
Williams, P. E. and L. P. Johnson-Bhola. 2009. Causes and Consequences of Coastal Flooding in Guyana. In: Duncan McGregor, David Dodman and David Barker (eds). Global Change and Caribbean Vulnerability: Environment, Economy and Society at Risk. Jamaica, UWI Press, pp 74 - 99.
Johnson-Bhola, L. “The Role of the Municipality in Disaster Preparedness and Response in Georgetown: Case Study of the South Georgetown Flood”, paper presented at the Caribbean Urban Forum (CUF) 5 in Castries, St. Lucia, June 2015.
Johnson-Bhola, L. “Agent-Based Land Market Dynamics in Guyana: Theory and Implications for Urban Development Policy”, Paper presented at EDULink PMT Workshop held at Anton De Kum University of Suriname, March 16, 2011.
Johnson-Bhola, L. “A Comparative Study of the Influence of Marine Action on the Beach Profiles at Four Locations in Guyana”. Paper presented at UWI Conference on Foundations and Directions: Celebrating Geography and Geology at The University of the West Indies, UWI, Mona, Jamaica- July 2008
Johnson-Bhola, L. “Dying a Slow Death: The Fiddler Sanctuary at Epsom Seashore, Epsom Village, Corentyne, Berbice” Paper presented at UWI Conference on Foundations and Directions: Celebrating Geography and Geology at The University of the West Indies, UWI, Mona, Jamaica- July 2008
Housing and Community Development issues, Urban policy, Urban spatial structure and land use issues, Geomorphological issues, Geographical education