The Advisory Board is to be resuscitated in the near future. This body, which will be chaired by the Director of the SEES, will function in an advisory capacity. The Advisory Board will meet at least once quarterly and will be provided with information on the functioning of the SEES by the Director. The principal role of this Board is to provide advice and guidance to assist the development of the School of Earth and Environmental Sciences.
Membership of the Board will be drawn from the faculties and schools of the University of Guyana, government agencies, the private sector and a wide range of non-governmental organizations.
ToR for Advisory Board
The terms of reference for the Advisory Board are itemised below.
- Assist the SEES in identifying priority research areas in a national context
- Input into major curriculum changes proposed for the undergraduate and post graduate programmes of the SEES;
- Assist the SEES by aiding its efforts to provide academic prizes for SEES students and by helping to place ESU students in appropriate jobs on graduation;
- Assist the SEES to identify appropriate integrated programmes in a national context; and
- Make the SEES aware of pending environmental contracts and facilitate the School’s efforts in obtaining them.
Institutions represented on the advisory board are:
- University of Utrecht
- Barama Company
- Guyana Forestry Commission
- European Community
- Arorima Mining Company
- Ministry of Education
- Guyana Water Inc.
- Institute of Development Studies
- Private Sector Commission
- National Amerindian Council
- Tourism and Hospitality Association of Guyana
- Amerindian Research Unit
- Institute of Distance and Continuing Education
- Environmental Protection Agency
The seven (7) Faculties of the University of Guyana also have representatives on the Advisory Board. Members of staff of the Unit are also members of the Advisory Board.
The Board was resuscitated on May 3, 2013 and the 2nd meeting convened on May 7, 2014.